Jump on the quinoa band-wagon and make yourself a healthy batch of this delicious roasted sweet potato and quinoa salad to enjoy with friends or on-the-go: perfect for dining al fresco! With temperatures warming up, it’s time to ditch those hearty recipes that got you through the past season and get a fresh taste for summer.
Quiona (complimented in this salad with roasted sweet potatoes, crumbled goat cheese, caramelized red onions, fresh thyme, and a helping of mixed greens!) is becoming an increasingly popular superfood. Now a cult trend, the quinoa grain contains all the benefits of a carbohydrate but is wheat-free and packed with protein and fiber leaving you feeling full, without the guilt. Why not try it this weekend and enjoy as an new, innovative side dish, or on it’s own for a mouth-watering lunch throughout the week. Make in advance and keep in the fridge, drizzling with the vinaigrette for a sharp kick when you’re ready to eat.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad
Serves 5 to 7
1 large sweet potato, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cups cooked red quinoa
1/2 medium red onion, lightly caramelized
1 tablespoon minced thyme
4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
4 cups mixed greens
zest 1 orange
salt and pepper to taste
1 anchovy fillet, minced
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Place all vinaigrette ingredients, except oil into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Slow whisk in oil until completely incorporated. Set aside.
3. Place sweet potato, garlic and oil in a mixing bowl and toss together. Generously season with salt and pepper.
4. Roast sweet potatoes in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring around every 15 minutes, until fork tender.
5. Remove roasted potatoes from the oven and cool for about 30 minutes.
6. Pour quinoa and sweet potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Add onions, thyme, goat cheese, and vinaigrette. Toss together until well mixed. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
7. Add mixed greens and vinaigrette and toss together.