‘Batkid’ Saves San Francisco

Thousands of people gathered in San Francisco last week to take part in a truly remarkable and moving event to make one boy’s dream come true. Miles Scott is a five year old boy in remission from a life-long battle with leukaemia that has one very special wish: to be Batman for a day. Thanks to the Make-A-Wish Foundation and an impressive 10,000 volunteers, San Francisco was transformed into the infamous fictional city of Gotham for a day so that Miles could live out his dream of becoming Batman.

According to a local television network he thought he was on his way to pick up a custom made Batman costume and was unaware that there would be a full day of heroic escapades on the cards.

The day started with a broadcast from San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr appealing for help from ‘Batkid’. Next, the pint-sized superhero saved a “damsel in distress”, tied to cable car tracks along a major urban street as well as foiling a dastardly plan by Batman villain The Riddler with a little help from volunteer police officers.

Miles also travelled to AT&T Park to rescue the San Francisco Giants baseball team mascot by disarming a fake bomb planted by another classic Batman baddie, the Penguin.

The US justice department even prepared an indictment for the Riddler and the Penguin.

Towards the end of the day San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee gave Miles a key to the city and US President Barack Obama praised the mini-caped crusader in a video from the White House, saying: “Way to go, Miles! Way to save Gotham.”

Batkid was cheered on throughout the day by the 10,00 strong participants and the San Fransisco Chronicle even printed a special edition with the mast head reading: “Batkid Saves City”.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation said the event was “on the scale of a military operation”.

In real life, Miles has defeated an enemy even more ruthless than Batman’s nemeses – he is presently recovering from leukaemia, with which he was diagnosed at 18 months old.

His mother, Natalie, said Friday was a “celebration” of her son’s completion of treatment in June.

“This wish has meant closure for our family and an end to over three years of putting toxic drugs in our son’s body,” she wrote in a statement on the foundation’s website.

His father, Nick Scott, thanked the charity and everyone else who took part.

No Comments

Leave a Reply